Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    Hello everyone!

    Thinking of buying this MiniDSP 2x4 | MiniDSP to use with my upcoming 604 project.

    I am wondering if anyone has had any experience and what were your results and would it be worth it? I like how cheap and how you are able to tune and tweak for a lot.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member Kenny Brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    I use a 2x4 miniDSP with my GPA 416-8C's and GPA 399A's on 18 Eighteen Sound XT1464A horns. I bought the UMIK-1 Mic and downloaded the REW software from Home Theater. It works a lot like Audyssey on Home Theater Receivers. You sweep the speakers with a tone and then you load the file into the miniDSP and it equalizes everything to the room.

    It is absolutely the best thing I have done to my system in a long time. It made the system so much more enjoyable to listen to.

    I have used electronic crossovers and have been half way happy but went back to a passive crossover and was happy. But when I went to the miniDSP I fell in love with my system. I can have the amp I want for the woofers and the one I want for the horns. I use a 805 tube amp and a 300b amp. So 40 watts and 6 watts.

    And the miniDSP doesn't take anything away. Mine doesn't hum and I have plenty of volume.

    I'm sold

    Kenny

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    Kenny,

    Thanks for your excellent response! I plan on initially to use the minidsp for now with a Altec 921-8a woofer and a cheap PRV Audio D280Ti driver, with some 811 horns I have laying around while I save up for a pair of GPA 604's. I am going to build some cabs that will house my initial, "getting by" system, and place the horn on top, and when the 604's get here, I'll pop out the 921's and drop in the 604's.

    I will use some converted console amps I have laying around, a converted maggie console pull 6V6 for the bottom end , and a SE EL84 for the horns.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    On further inspection, it look slike the PRV Audio D290Py-B 1" Polyimide Horn Compression Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt will be a better fit freq wise.....

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member Kenny Brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    That sounds like a good plan. The miniDSP is so versatile you can use it with any set of speakers, even a single speaker or box system that already has a crossover built in. I thought about buying a set of GPA 604's without crossover and using the miniDSP.

    You could use the same 2x4 and configure for a subwoofer or buy 2 each 2x4's for a 4 way system. And you really have a hard time beating the price and it is a bargain compared to a Behringer DCX2496, which is also a nice unit.

    I have a Maggie push pull 6V6 and Maggie push pull EL84 and have had in the past a Maggie SEP EL84. All of them are fine sounding amps. I won't get rid of the two of them and wished I hadn't got rid of the SEP EL84.

    I think that would be a fine sounding start and you may not go any further once you get it dialed in.

    Oh, you can play around with this and that setup on the miniDSP and save your settings as a file and reload them any time you want to. The one thing I don't like is you don't know what is loaded into the miniDSP so keep track of what you last loaded into the miniDSP. You can't download the settings that are in the miniDSP, only upload. You can also change settings on the fly and immediately hear the difference.

    Another thing I forgot is if you have a amp that has tubes that are too bright or a bright solid state amp it will tone it right down, not just the speakers. I have RCA clear tops in my 300b amp and they were bright sounding. After equalizing using the miniDSP it took the brightness out of the system and sounds good now.



    Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny Brant; March 18th, 2015 at 08:52 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Experience with using MiniDSP with their Altec?

    I just bought a Minidsp 2x4 and UMIC-1 to play around with in conjunction with my 820Cs. I will download REW as recommended above, however I was hoping to try bi-amping. Am I correct that it does not support bi-amping? The two plugins at the Minidsp site that seem to be apropos are the Two Way Advanaced (2way Advanced | MiniDSP) and Stereo Graphic EQ (Stereo Graphic EQ plug-in | MiniDSP). Which to buy? Or just get both?

    Audio chain includes a linux computer -> MA-6100 preamp section -> minidsp -> MC-2100 power amp -> 820C. With bi-amping, I would also use the amp section of the MA-6100. Guessing the direct coupled MA-6100 amp would best match the HF horn, and the autoformer coupled MC-2100 would best match the LF section.
    Last edited by wws944; May 2nd, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
    W.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.